ALL THE SWEETNESS OF SUGAR – IN A HEART-HEALTHY, WHOLE FOOD
Show your customers you care about their well-being by using dates in your products as an alternative to refined sugar. Dates are coming to the rescue as a healthier sugar substitute. Dates are loaded with essential nutrients that have been associated with potential health benefits – from maintaining heart health to fighting cancer.
DATES – A POWER-PACKED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
In addition to providing the sweetness people crave, dates are an excellent source of:
• Protein Dates contain 23 types of amino acids, including all the essential amino acids.
• Dietary Fiber A 1/4-cup serving of dates provides 12% of the RDA for fiber. Dates include an important soluble fiber known as beta-D-Glucan, which helps people feel more sated and contributes to regularity.
• Antioxidant Phytochemicals Dates are rich in a variety of plant chemicals – such as phenolics, sterols, carotenoids, anthocyanins, procyanidins and flavonoids – shown to protect the body against oxidation and inflammation. Among commonly consumed whole fresh fruits, dates rank high in antioxidant polyphenols, which protect against the damaging effects of inflammation and destroy free radicals that can cause heart disease and other chronic diseases.
• Vitamins and Minerals Dates provide 16 vitamins and minerals, including vitamins B3, B5, B6 and B9, iron, and calcium. A 1/2-cup of dates provides 15% of the RDA for selenium, copper, potassium and magnesium.
• Healthy Fatty Acids Dates contain saturated and unsaturated fatty acids – including lauric, palmitic, linoleic and linolenic acids. These fatty acids have been shown to reduce triglycerides and lower cholesterol.
As a low-glycemic carbohydrate, dates provide the sweetness your customers crave without the negative effects of sugar. And because dates have soluble fiber, they help your customers feel full.
Date fructose and glucose sugars create a sweetness similar to table sugar. Date paste and date syrup make ideal replacements for refined sugar in various food formulations, such as soft drinks, energy bars, baked goods and confections. In fact, date products in foods like bread and yogurt have been shown to improve taste and texture.
Healthy, delicious dates – the food of the future has been here all along.
DATES ARE A HEALTHY SUGAR SUBSTITUTE IN:
• Energy bars
• Salad dressings
HOW DATES GROW
Date palms take 7 to 10 years to produce viable yields for commercial harvest. Mature date palms can produce 150 to 300 pounds of dates each season.
Dates grow in strands. To get the best fruit, we thin out more than half of the young fruit from each strand so the remaining dates can grow large. When these dates are nearly ripe, we cover bunches of strands with muslin bags that protect the fruit from weather, birds and insects.
When it’s time to harvest the fruits, we untie the bags and collect the strands. Finally, the fruits are washed, separated
and packaged or processed.
SEASONAL DATE VARIETIES
Woodspur Farms offers 16 varieties of whole dates throughout the year depending on the season, both organically and conventionally grown.